Issued by National Weather Service
2:54 AM EST Thu, Feb 24, 2022
…WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING…
* WHAT…Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches possible. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph.
* WHERE…The south coasts of both Rhode Island and Massachusetts including Cape Cod.
* WHEN…From late tonight through Friday evening.
* IMPACTS…Travel will be be very difficult especially for the Friday morning commute. A flash freeze is possible later Friday afternoon and early evening.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS…Snow will overspread the region between 1 and 3 am Friday morning. The snow will quickly become heavy, but change to sleet and rain by early to mid morning on Friday. Precipitation may change back to a period of snow later Friday afternoon and early evening along with a potential flash freeze.
Monitor the latest forecasts for updates on this situation.
The Town of Barnstable is currently updating the Barnstable Hazard Mitigation Plan (HMP). The HMP is a planning document that is required by both FEMA and MEMA to be updated every 5 years in order to remain eligible for certain funding opportunities. The Planning and Development department is the lead coordinator in an interdepartmental effort to update the plan.
The purpose of the plan is to identify and profile the town’s risk and vulnerability to potential natural hazards. Specifically, this plan assesses the potential impacts of hurricanes, winter storms, shoreline change/coastal erosion, earthquakes, drought/wildfire, and dam failure and identifies properties, resources, and critical facilities which may be impacted by these hazard events. The plan identifies mitigation strategies and actions aimed at reducing the loss of or damage to life, property, infrastructure and natural, cultural, and economic resources. A corresponding implementation plan will then be prepared to address the prioritization and administration of the identified strategies and actions.
The Town of Barnstable Department of Public Works Solid Waste Division will be closed Monday, February 21, 2022 in observance of President’s Day. Trash and recycling services will resume on a normal schedule Tuesday, February 22, 2022.
You must be logged in to post a comment.